Welcome to the Department of Philosophy
The University of Wisconsin–Madison Department of Philosophy is located in Helen C. White Hall, right on the shore of beautiful Lake Mendota and at the heart of the university campus. Its faculty carries on a long and proud tradition of highly acclaimed teaching and research in core areas of philosophy—especially in the philosophy of science and ethics, but also in metaphysics, epistemology, and the history of philosophy. The department attracts nearly two hundred undergraduate majors, and its outstanding Ph.D. program has placed graduates in some of the best departments in the country. Along with its colloquium program, the department regularly hosts conferences and is the home of the annual Wisconsin Metaethics Workshop.
Double Major Hannah DeBrine on studying both Math and Philosophy
- Our next colloquium will be on March 31st. Our speaker will be Jonathan Cohen from UCSD.
- See all of our upcoming events!
- Our yearly Philosophy Department Newsletter is now available!
- Elliott Sober interviewed at 3AM on methodological naturalism, evolutionary theory and theism, Ockam's Razor, physicalism, and a lot more!
- Congratulations to John B., James and Mike for having their papers selected for this year’s Philosopher’s Annual - only 10 papers so honored!
- Elliott Sober and Steve Nadler have each published essays at aeon magazine recently! Read Steve's essay "Why Spinoza still matters" and Elliott's essay "Why is simpler better?"
- More news