Graduate Student Achievements
- Cabrera, F. (forthcoming) “Cladistic Parsimony, Historical Linguistics, and Cultural Phylogenetics” Mind & Language.
- Cabrera, F. (2015). "Can there be a Bayesian explanationism? On the prospects of a productive partnership," Synthese, 1-28
- "Religious Belief and Surrogate Medical Decision Making," with Christopher Meyers, Journal of Clinical Ethics (Summer 2009)
- Semantic Dispositionalism and Non-Inferential Knowledge, forthcoming in Philosophia (published version at http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11406-014-9518-x
- Kripke’s Account of the Rule-Following Considerations, in European Journal of Philosophy, vol. XX, 2012, pp. 366-388 (published version at http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0378.2010.00414.x).
- Rule-Following, Ideal Conditions and Finkish Dispositions, in Philosophical Studies, vol. CLVII, 2012, pp. 195-209 (published version at http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11098-010-9632-y)
- Hyun, Alexander (forthcoming). 'The Mystery of Atonement and Swinburne's Reparation Theory,' Religious Studies.
- Hyun, Alexander (2015). 'Internalism, Ideal Advisors and the Conditional Fallacy,' Journal of Ethics and Social Philosophy, 1-7.
- Hyun, Alexander and Eric Sampson (2014). 'On Believing the Error Theory,' Journal of Philosophy 111 (11), 631-640.
- “The Leverage Approach for Sufficiency?”, forthcoming in Ethical Theory and Moral Practice
- When Does Dual For-Cause Removal Protection Become Unconstitutional? Exploring the Scope of Free Enterprise Fund v. Public Company Accounting Oversight Board, 2013 Wis. L. Rev. 875..
- "Inherent emotional quality of human speech sounds" (co-authored with Maia Pujara, Rick Wolf, & Mike Koenigs) Cognition and Emotion, 27, 2013, pp. 1105-1113.
- "Knowing That P Without Believing That P" (co-authored with Eric Schwitzgebel) Nous (forthcoming).
- "Functional anatomy of ventromedial prefrontal cortex: Implications for mood and anxiety disorders" (co-authored with Mike Koenigs) Molecular Psychiatry 2011, doi: 10.1038/mp.2011.88. [Epub ahead of print]
- Vassend, Olav B. (2015) “Confirmation Measures and Sensitivity” (2015)Philosophy of Science 82 (5): 892-904.
- “Special Relations as the Grounds of Agent-neutral Reasons” Mountain-Plains Philosophy Conference (October 2016)
- “Another Stoic Inconsistency: Propositions and Predicationals” Northwest Philosophy Conference (October 2015).
- “Multiple Entrenchment Orderings in the AGM Model of Belief Revision” Boise State University (September 2014).
- "The Inseparability of Mental Content and Processes," Iowa Philosophical Society, Davenport, IA (October 2011)
- "A More Modest Reductive Physicalism," Wisconsin Philosophical Association, Milwaukee, WI (April 2011)
- "Prospects for a Non-Causal, Non-Natural Moral Perceptualism" Alabama Philosophical Society Conference, Pensacola, FL (October 2012)
- "Religious Belief and Surrogate Medical Decision Making" Association for Practical and Professional Ethics, San Antonio Texas (February 2008)
- "The Moral Significance of Pain in Draper's Argument from Evil" (with Robert Reed) SCP Eastern Regional (October 2015)
- "The Argument from Epistemic Duties: A New Argument for External Reasons for Action," Eastern APA, Baltimore (January 2017).
- "The Argument from Epistemic Duties: A New Argument for External Reasons for Action," Rocky Mountain Ethics Congress (August 2016).
- "Anselmian Theism and Reasons Internalism," Society of Christian Philosophers (Midwest), Mobile, Alabama (March 2015).
- "Debunking our Skepticism about Moral Deference," Second Annual Philosophers' Cocoon Conference, Tampa, Florida (July 2014).
- "Of Course We Can Believe the Error Theory" (with Eric Sampson). Wisconsin Philosophical Association Annual Meeting, Madison, Wisconsin (April 2014).
- "How to Use Moral Testimony", Rocky Mountain Ethics Congress (August 2013).
- "Moral Deference and the Puzzle of Moral Confusion", Midwest Division of the Society of Christian Philosophers (April 2013).
- "Virtue and Moral Deference", Wisconsin Philosophical Association (April 2013).
- "Homogenous Pink" (with Kathleen Akins), Wilfrid Sellars Centenary Conference, Dublin Ireland (July 2012)
- The Leverage Approach for Sufficientarianism”, Central APA, Chicago, March 2016
- “Universalizability: What Can it Tell us about Right and Wrong?”, Rocky Mountain Ethics Congress, August 2015
- “Killing, Injuring, and Animals: A Kantian Perspective”, Pacific APA, Vancouver, April 2015
- “Why does Health Matter for Justice?”, Graduate Workshop in Applied Philosophy, Bowling Green, November 2014; Society for Applied Philosophy Annual Conference, Oxford, June 2014
- “Consequentializing Inviolable Rights”, Pacific APA, San Diego, April 2014
- "Judgments of Belief and Knowledge: Interactive yet Independent", Experimental Philosophy Society, Eastern APA, December 2009.
- “Does the Judgment Internalist’s Claim Depend on a Particular View of Motivation?” American Philosophical Association, Pacific Division Meeting, Main Program, Colloquium Session, San Francisco, CA. (March 2013)
- “It’s Not All About Beliefs: The Extended Mind and Why Propositional Attitudes are Still in the Head”, 2013 meeting of the Southern Society for Philosophy and Psychology, Austin, TX. (February 2013)
- “Can Embodied Cognition Deny Representation and Still Explain Intentionality?” Poster presentation, Annual meeting of the Society for Philosophy and Psychology, Boulder, CO. (June 2012)
- "Defending Telic Egalitarianism", Center for Moral and Political Philosophy, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel (June 2016)
- "The Difference Principle and Fraternity", Pacific APA, San Diego CA (April 2014)
- "On the Disagreement Between Luck Egalitarians and Relational Egalitarians", MANCEPT Workshops in Political Theory, Manchester UK (September 2014)
- “Defending Permissive Intuitions” (with Casey Hart), American Philosophical Association Central Division, Kansas City, 2017
- “Defending Permissive Intuitions” (with Casey Hart), Meeting of the Society of Exact Philosophy, University of Miami, 2016
- “Epistemic Teleology, Reliabilism, and the Problem of Epistemic Trade-Offs," Midsouth Philosophy Conference, Rhodes College, 2016
- “Epistemic Teleology, Reliabilism, and the Problem of Epistemic Trade-Offs”
Northwest Philosophy Conference, North Idaho College, 2016
- "The Limits of Epistemic Consequentialism," Wisconsin Philosophical Association (2015)
- "Mushy Credences, Coin tosses, and Admissibility," Midsouth Philosophy Conference (2014)
- "The Problem of Irrelevant Causal Factors," Invited lecture: California State University, Long Beach (2014)
- "Epistemic Permissivism and The Argument from Arbitrariness," Wisconsin Philosophical Association (2014); Midsouth Philosophy Conference (2015)
- "Miracles & the Best of All Possible Worlds", Wisconsin Philosophical Association (April 2013)
- “What Ability Can Do,” Rocky Mountain Ethics Congress (2016); Ohio Philosophical Association Annual Meeting (2016)
- “A Causal Understanding of When and When Not to Jeffrey Conditionalize” (with Reuben Stern), Formal Epistemology Workshop (2016)
- “The Reasons Intentions Give,” American Philosophical Association, Pacific Division Meeting (2016)
- “Acting, Right, and Wrong: A Defense of Reasons Internalism,” College of Wooster Philosophy Roundtable (2015)
- "Reconsidering the Empirical Model of the Evidential Status of Moral Intuitions,” Midsouth Philosophy Conference (2015)
- "When to Jeffrey Conditionalize" (with Reuben Stern), An Informal Formal Epistemology Meeting (April 2014)
- "Looking in Our Heads: Distinguishing the Theory Theory’s Account of the Conscious Stream from the Inner Sense Model’s Introspection", The Wisconsin Philosophical Association (2013); The Society for Philosophy and Psychology (2013)
- "Non-Idealized Dignity and the Moral Permissibility of Paternalism: A Reformulation of Nussbaum's Capabilities Approach," Human Development and Capability Association Conference, Tokyo, Japan, September 2016.
- "Non-Idealized Dignity and the Moral Permissibility of Paternalism: A Reformulation of Nussbaum's Capabilities Approach," Center for Global Ethics, Conference on Agency, Power, and Politics, University of Birmingham, UK, May 2016.
- "What, If Any, Is the Value of Ideal Theory?" ANU Philsoc Seminar, Canberra, ACT (June 2014)
- "On The Pernicious Influence of the Ideal/Nonideal Distinction in Political Philosophy," MANCEPT Workshop in Political Theory, Manchester, UK (September 2012)
- "Delusions and Downstream Effects," Wisconsin Philosophical Association (2012), Central States Philosophical Association (2012), Illinois Philosophical Association (2012).
- 2016, "Predictive Coding and Three-Dimensional Reductivism," accepted at The Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness (ASSC) 20th annual meeting, Buenos Ares (unable to attend).
- 2016, "Phenomenal Concepts and the Disjunction Problem," at the Southern Society for Philosophy and Psychology 108th Annual Meeting, Louisville.
- 2015, "The Logic of Quantified Two-Dimensional Conceivability Arguments," at the Philosophy of Language and Mind Masterclass Conference with David Chalmers, Stockholm.
- “Statistical Inference and Approximate Truth,” Biennial Meeting of the Philosophy of Science Association, Georgia, Atlanta, November 2016
- “Goals and the Informativeness of Prior Probabilities,” Formal Epistemology Workshop, Groningen, Netherlands, June 2016
- “Moderate Bayesianism Is Incompatible With Equal Treatment," Pacific APA, San Fransisco, California, April 2016
- “Learning Credences and Betting Credences," Congress of Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science, Helsinki, Finland, August 2015
- “Confirmation Measures and Sensitivity,” Biennial Meeting of the Philosophy of Science Association, Chicago, Illinois, November 2014
- “Confirmation and the Ordinal Equivalence Convention," Pacific APA, San Diego, California, April 2014
- “Sometimes it is better to do nothing," Wisconsin Philosophical Association, Madison, Wisconsin, April 2014
- Explanations in Music Theory, Illinois Philosophical Association (November 2014); Central States Philosophical Association (October 2014).
- Mechanistic Explanations in Music Theory: Lessons from Biology and Physical Geology, Alabama Philosophical Society (October 2013); European Society for Aesthetics (June 2013).
- Performing Platonist Types, Performance Philosophy (April 2013).
- Musical States of Affairs: A New Proposal For Realist Platonism, Challenging Musical Ontologies: An RMA Study Day (November 2012).
- Interlevel Mechanistic Explanations of Musical Ontology, Midsouth Philosophy Conference (February 2012).