How to Apply to our Grad Program
The deadline is always January 5th, every year. You must apply online by that date to be considered for admission.
The process begins with the application to the UW-Madison Graduate School.
Answer all required questions and be sure to submit the following:
- Reasons for Study (also called Statement of Purpose)
- Names of at least 3 professors and their email addresses for letters of recommendation
- TOEFL or Melab scores if your native language is not English
- Supplemental application (questionnaire about what philosophy courses you've already studied)
- Writing sample (4,500-6,000 words recommended, which is 15-20 pages double-spaced, devoted to a philosophical subject)
We also require one official transcript from each college or university you've attended. Mail to:
5185 Helen C. White Hall
600 N. Park St.
Madison, WI 53706
You can also mail your writing sample to that address if you prefer that to submitting online. If your recommender prefers to send a paper letter (instead of electronic) they can send their letter of recommendation to that address as well.
GRE scores are not required, but you are welcome to submit them with your application.
If you have questions about the process of applying, contact Lori Grant, Graduate Coordinator, Department of Philosophy at 608-263-5278.