Discussion Questions on Philosophy of Science (I)
1. Among many social theorists, few criticisms are nastier than saying of someone, "He/she is a positivist." Why do you think that so many hate the views of the positivists? What attitude ought we now to hold toward the positivists?
2. What are the central differences between Karl Popper's views and the views of the logical positivists?
3. In this appendix I do not explain what is wrong with Popper's views. From the brief comments here, what do you think of them?
4. What exactly is "empiricism"? How defensible is it?
5. Are you a realist or an instrumentalist? How would you defend your view?
6. What can be said in defense of the deductive nomological model? What are the most important criticisms of it?