Discussion Questions for September 15 on School Vouchers
1. What are the main elements of the case for government funding of education?
2. Which of those elements carry over to the case for government provision of education?
3. What advantages would economists see in a system of private (market) provision of education such as a voucher system?
4. What are the drawbacks of a voucher system? Do they undermine the attractiveness of vouchers and support government provision instead?
5. What considerations are left out of the standard economist's case in defense of a voucher system? How serious are they?