Discussion Questions on Marx
1. What does Marx see as the main problem with capitalism? Is it mainly unequal distribution of wealth? Is it oppression of workers by their bosses?
2. What does Marx mean by "estrangement" or "alienation" (these are alternative translations of the same German word)? Marx discusses several different kinds of estrangement. What are they and do they necessarily go together?
3. What does Marx mean when he says that "man is a species being"?
4. Summarize in your own words Marx's view of the dynamics of history in his "Preface". How would you support or criticize it? What role does economics play in history?
5. What would Marx say about Mill's method of doing economics?