Discussion Questions on Locke, concluding
These questions will focus mainly on chapters 8, 9, and 11
1. Locke, unlike Hobbes, is very concerned with consent. Why? What kinds of consent are there and how do they differ?
2. To what extent does society precede the social contract?
3. How does the fundamental law of nature constrain the nature and conduct of government?
4. Locke places tremendous emphasis on property. Why? What does he mean by property?
5. The founding fathers of the United States relied heavily on Locke. Why was he so appealing to them?