The deadline is always January 5th, every year. You must apply online by that date to be considered for admission.
The process begins with the application to the UW-Madison Graduate School.
Answer all required questions and be sure to submit the following:
- Reasons for Study (also called Statement of Purpose)
- Names of at least 3 professors and their email addresses for letters of recommendation
- TOEFL or Melab scores if your native language is not English
- Supplemental application (questionnaire about what philosophy courses you’ve already studied)
- Writing sample (4,500-6,000 words recommended, which is 15-20 pages double-spaced, devoted to a philosophical subject)
GRE scores are not required, and will not be looked at.
Every applicant whose native language is not English, or whose undergraduate instruction was not in English, must provide an English proficiency test score. Please see the specific English proficiency requirements here.
If you have questions about the process of applying, contact Miriam Fagan, Graduate Coordinator, Department of Philosophy at 608-263-5278.